Thursday, October 29, 2009

Can't Touch This

There are some things in life that you can mess with...but there are many things in life that you can't mess with..especially when I am around.

As Human Beings, and as Indians more more specifically, we are pretentious, racist and ignorant by nature. Where have I heard that before..we keep saying the same thing over and over again..We all sound like broken records. Well I can't take it anymore. Stop judging people you don't know. Especially musicians. You aren't even half as good as them. So get over yourself.

You're the type of person that wakes up every morning thinking very highly of yourself. Well good for you. Pat yourself on the back. But do you have to live up to any reputation. Do people even care whether you show up to work or not. Do you have a million shutterbugs in your face asking you or rather waiting for you to do something stupid. Your pathetic. Get over it. Stop trying to make your miserable life better by judging others. Believe me. You are not any cooler. It just makes me dislike you more. You poor pretentious poser.


We keep talking about these One Hit Wonders. I mean we mistakenly assume that its a good thing to be called a One Hit Wonder, but really people laugh at the fact that they could never come up with much more. So what. At least they tried right. Can't say the same about you. Did you ever come out of your comfortable shell and try something different. And even if you did, did you get very far. From where I'm standing doesn't seem like it. There are some great "One Hit Wonders" that you still sing and hum to. Do not even try denying it. Are you seriously telling me you didn't ever sing along to "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison or "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. If you said no then I can tell you right now. You are going to that big underground fiery place. Oh and how can I forget "I wish" by Skee Lo or "Macarena", "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak, "Take on Me" by Aha. Oh my. I can go on for ever. Okay now you may be wondering what the point of this whole charade is. All I am saying is that you should really think twice before you judge someone or their music again.

It's not like I am completely free of such biasts either. I personally can't stomach Coldplay, but that's mostly because of the emotional implications that are involved and also that
EVERYONE likes them.. I can't get accustomed to anything that everyone else seems to like. It just seems wrong. Anyways so yes I have a problem with Cold play, but I have openly expressed my love for the song "Fix You".

So lets talk more about these pretentious posers I mentioned earlier. These peeps walk around with their snooty uber cool intellectual yack and pretend like they are the best thing to happen to this world since creation itself. You can't really recognize them because they like to stay out of the limelight, but that's mostly because they aren't good enough for the spotlight. Let me break it down. They listen to music that they think is thought provoking, meaningful and that serves a purpose. The worst thing you can do to music is define it or restrict it to something. So I get that you need to classify music according to genres to ensure there is some form of clarity and organization, but what I don't get is hating on music when you don't even know about it.

Pop music is the best case. People think its for teeny boppers who are fresh into high school. Adults don't listen to pop, at least not the smart ones. What utter baseless BS. Buddy you need to grow some BALLS and realize that pop music is POPULAR music for a reason. It's good on the ears, light on the brains and relative to each individual. End of story. So the next time you call Britney Spears, *NSYNC, Spice Girls, or anyone else soooooo pop, well then give yourself a pat on the back genius. YES they are popular. They give little girls and big men alike around the world a reason to unite, dance and be merry. Ain't nothing wrong in that. Its all in you demented head that there is. Don't involve the rest of the world in your dirty political mind.

Just as we are ignorant about the people in our own lives, we don't leave any leaf unturned in the case of music and musicians as well. For instance, all Country artists are hicks, all Rappers are Black Gangstas and all Rock N Rollas are rebels without a cause. Oh someone shoot me. This ignorance is killing me.

Garth Brooks might be country, but he has more soul in his country bumpkin songs than you have on a daily basis. Shawn Corey Carter aka Jay Z might have a net worth of millions of dollars and he's living the Gangsta life but started out in the projects and made it big rapping about it and didn't have to kill someone for it like a gangster. Marilyn Manson might be a white man stuck in a goth woman's clothes and make up, but he gets your attention and boy do you give it to him.

So you might not agree with what musicians sing about, you might not understand their need to dance, you might not understand their lyrics, you might not like electronic sounds, you might not like the amount of synthesizers in a song. Whatever the case. You can't just walk around judging things or people when you don't even know about them. If your going to judge or criticize do it after you take the time to sit down and listen to the music. Then decide. Don't just be a pretentious poser. Its not a nice tag to walk around with.

Whatever I say might just go through one ear and out the other. Or you might just scan through what I write. It doesn't really matter. You might say what does this well fed, overtly verbose Indian girl, with an American Accent know about anything. Well I don't know much. I am just talking about basic humanity, decency. Its okay if you don't get it. But if you really want to be the one to judge, you need to go make something out of yourself first. With that I leave you with a poem from one of the most misunderstood musicians in the history of Music. Tupac Amaru Shakur.

Fallen Star

They could never understand
what u set out to do
instead they chose to
ridicule you
when you got weak
they loved the sight
of your dimming
and flickering starlight
How could they understand what was so intricate
to be loved by so many, so intimate
they wanted to see your lifeless corpse
this way u could not alter the course
of ignorance that they have set
to make my people forget
what they have done for much to long
to just forget and carry on
I had loved you forever because of who you are
and now I mourn our fallen star

1 comment:

  1. Loving the Vengeance! More power to you!
    But I swear I shut all doors and windows and very discretely posed in front of the mirror when I sang "I'm Too Sexy". How did you know?? :)

    ReplyDelete