Thursday, October 22, 2009

Labels or Love??

The great Sufi poet Rumi once said “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

I think I am at the place. A place where nothing is really right nothing is really wrong. You are a horrible person, but I haven't quite done my part for world peace either. So stuck somewhere in the middle. Away from the extremities of life. Safe. Secure. Good place to be? I don't know.

I can't help but think we all have a bigger purpose in life. Or have I just become the romantic idealist I said I would never become. I like to think that life is good because of the smaller things that it has to offer...the beautiful horizon...the random moments of infectious laughter when your roomie cracks and insanely stupid joke...the first crush...::SIGH.

Okay, but what about the bigger things that life has to offer..the more expensive things..does it make me a bad person just because I like to shop..ALOT...no..I don't think so..as long as I'm not harming anyone I don't see the problem..

I think the problems only arise when you start liking the inanimate objects you buy more than the animate objects in your life (clothes over people?) Don't get me wrong.. I love my mother..my brother..my special friends...and even the not so special ones...but the kind of high I get when I try on a new shiny thing is unexplainable...maybe its because that inanimate object gives you more affection without even trying to...maybe its because the inanimate object does not have the capability to break your heart..yup that's it..now I know why my ex roomie always said she loves inanimate objects..it all makes sense now..in fact i think it the most profound discovery of the century...

The number of songs that are made on inanimate objects just proves my point...Ke$ha was right:

Boots and Boys
They bring me so much joy
I wear them both so pretty
As a Walk in the city

But I think its best said by Fergie when she says"

I shop for purses while I walk out the door
Don’t cry, buy a bag and then get over it
And, I’m not concerned with all the politics
It’s a lot of men I know I could find another one.
I know I might come off as negative
I be looking for labels, I ain’t looking for love
Relationships are often so hard to tame
A Prada dress has never broken my heart before
I’m a shop for labels while them ladies lay and wait for love

You might feel bad for the inanimate objects like Godley and Creme. But as the song goes:
Some things are better left alone
Grains of sand prefer their own company
But magnets are two faced
No choice for sugar
But what choice could there be
But to drown in coffee or to drown in tea
The frustrations of being inanimate
Maybe its better that way
The fewer the moving parts
The less there is to go wrong
I wonder about these things

I wonder too..How long will this bitter taste in the mouth last..when will I wake up in the morning again and say WOW what a beautiful day...when will I find true companionship from any animate object instead of my virtual farm. Well I wil never say never...but lets just say at this point I am quite happy with my situation..no complaints..I must say..as the deliquents of the 21st century we are mighty lucky to have a whole bunch of inanimate obejects to keep us occupied...to keep us feeling loved...to satisfy our needs...

Or are we?

3 comments:

  1. ah, but you write. it's always more satisfying to create than acquire, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it is often said - 'the world is a very materialistic haven' 'money the great ruler' and 'man the greatest slave' - Want to run away from all this? You can't - unless yout become a monk - but then even the monk sold his ferrari instead of just giving it up - QUESTIONS and more?

    ReplyDelete