Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Truth About Dressing like a Slut

Okay. Maybe I should warn you right now. This blog post has less to do about dressing like a slut and more to do about the "Weaker Sex". Now before you assume that I am a thoroughbred feminist, let me just update your douche bag way of thinking. Yes I am a woman, but I believe in equal opportunity. That is until a man goes and says or does something to ruin it.

So let me ask you so called intelligent men and women out there, what is it about a woman that "under dresses" that gets you all hot blooded.

Are you jealous that you can't do the same? Do you have a big ass? Is your girl friend not putting out? Whatever the case, who gave you the bloody right to decide if I am wearing too much or too less? NOBODY.

I can't believe I am saying this but Miley Cyrus inspired me to write this blog post. So it's been two months since I last made an entry and I have been feeling bad about it ever since. But this is not about me not writing. It's about me being so charged up to want to write about something that endless number of people discuss on a day to day basis.

This isn't a new phenomenon. The way we dress has always been an issue. I remember growing up as an ugly duckling but wanting to revolt against whoever told me what to wear. Like my mom or my dad especially. They told me good girls don't show off their modesty. Well I was determined to be a bad girl then. I would wear strappy string tops under big jackets just because I loved the idea of wearing what I wanted. Forget that I had the arms of a professional wrestler. I just could wear that strappy string top and walk around like nothing happened. Now that's what I call power, but we will get to the power issue later on.

Getting back to Miley Cyrus. What did she do to make me write this post? Nothing she hasn't been doing otherwise. It's not about her song "Can't Be Tamed". It's not about the fact that she is moving out of her Hannah Montana ways. It's not even about her pole dancing.
It's just the fact that we are more concerned with the fact that she dresses like a "slut", then the fact that she can barely hold a note without sounding synth. No offense. I mean I totally tap my foot up and down to 'Party in the USA'. And yes I did get goosebumps when I first heard "The Climb". But the fact of the matter is that she has been getting a lot of flak for the clothes she wears or rather does not wear. So she is 17 years old and no 17 year old has the business of wearing what looks like a one piece swimsuit on stage? Right? Wrong. She can wear anything she wants because in show business you don't really have an age. And we the discerning voyeur loving population are to blame. When it all comes down to it, the 64 year old Dolly Parton says it best about the Disney bunny:


"I remember when I was horny and young too. I love her. She's beautiful and has legs that go on for ever."

It's so simple but so powerful that statement. For centuries women have been told how to dress and how to be sexy or un-sexy. As far as I am concerned a woman is as sexy in a burkha as she is in a teeny weeny polka dot bikini. That again brings me back to what I was saying. A slut is not a slut until she sleeps with your boyfriend, his married brother, the entire Indian army and your brother. You can't be a slut simply for wearing a mini and running around topless. Then your just half naked.

I'm not telling everyone to run naked on the streets. If that's what you think I am saying well then your an ignorant fool. Or in nice plain words, you have not understood any word of this post.

As a 24 year old girl stuck in a womans body, I am finally comfortable with what I look like. I also know what kind of reactions my body evokes in others, men and women alike. Having said that I also don't give anyone the right to tell me what to wear. So then why did I wear a scarf around my neck when I walked down the busiest street in Bangalore? Because for some odd reason, men think that by walking down a crowded street they can rub up against your lady lumps and pull it off as an accident.

How about I punch you in your family jewels and we call it even? No? Well then shuttup and listen.

So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what I wear or don't wear. You are still going to want to touch this and I am still going to want to punch you.

I like to think of myself as a rational woman who responds and does not simply react. But what do you want me to do when a man says me wearing a certain piece of clothing makes him uncomfortable. What do I say when a man passes a lewd comment at me and expects me to be amused and not react? I say BALLS! No way in heck am I going to let you tell me I asked for it. No one asks to be sexually abused. Get that out of your thick skull.


You know how smug you think you are. Admit it. You see a "hot chick" and more than just your temperature rises and you say you can't control it. So why are we the weaker sex again? Please put all your brain cells together and tell me who is stronger now. The man who sees a piece of meat and shows every sign of excitement or the woman who silently observes, likes what she sees and enjoys a few private thoughts or two?

Definitely a woman. Who wants to walk around with something that gives away exactly what they are thinking or feeling at the moment? Not me.

The next time you want to argue that men are the stronger sex and women are the weaker sex, think about these next few points:

  • Men are known to have a shorter life span, are more susceptible to infections and have less chance of withstanding disease than women.
  • In matters of evolution, men are less likely to survive than women
  • Girls learn language earlier, develop richer vocabularies and even hear better than boys.
  • Teenage boys are more likely to commit suicide than girls and are more likely to die violent deaths before adulthood.
  • While depression is said to be twice as frequent in women as in men, its only because women show their symptoms and are willing to talk about it in times of distress.
But don't take my word for it. Take theirs:
  • We're more recession-proof. According to the Bureau of Labor Studies, 80 percent of those who have lost their jobs since December 2007 have been men.
  • We already know that female enrollment is higher than male, but the of Educations Statistics reveal that men are also less likely than women to graduate and get their bachelor's degrees. Men are also more likely to take longer than five years to complete their degree
  • A study done by McGill University indicated that estrogen gives women an edge when it comes to fighting off infections. That's because estrogen confronts a certain enzyme that often hinders the body's first line of defense against bacteria and viruses.
  • Among the world's population of those who are over 100 years old, 85 percent are women, according to the New England Centenarian Study. In general, women continue to live five to 10 years longer than men as well.

If you still didn't get it then this might help:
  • Men can't give birth because whatever power decided women should have babies didn't give them the ability to. He/she knew that men can barely hold themselves up for 9 months, imagine another living thing!
  • Women look better naked

  • Women do less time for violent crime

  • You have a toddler in your pants who tells on you every time.
Okay. Fine maybe the last few reasons were just ways to make you feel bad about yourself. What it all boils down to is that MEN are not the stronger sex. Sure physically you might be able to lift more, but we don't see you walking around with a 10 pound being in your belly. I'm just saying!!

On a more serious note, the other day some jack ass boy I know said women shouldn't have any combat role in the armed forces. To that I have to say, men shouldn't be allowed on the planet. You smell, your hairy and disgusting, and you have no manners. Okay I know I keep deviating but again on a completely serious note, women don't need to be told that they can't fight. It goes against every moral tenant that this society is supposed to be made out of.

If a woman wishes to risk her life for her country, fight with unruly men from other countries and maybe even die while doing so, no one has the right to deny her that choice. Women have sought the opportunities previously restricted to men and vice versa. We let Adam Lambert sing about wearing black eye liner, we let Arnold star in a movie call 9 months, we let you wax your chests, we let you be the bread makers and not only the bread winners! Sure the comparison is not right. But what do you want me to say? It's comical. Women are constantly fighting to make a point. And look at the irony of it all. Women are fighting to fight!

It's as simple as this. If a woman has the ability to serve on the front lines, the military should not deny itself her valuable service. And even if she does make it to the armed forces, just because she is the minority doesn't mean you can use her as your socks.

So ladies and even men, you're not a slut. You don't ask for it until you actually say "I want it" and mean it.

If I want to show some cleavage I will. Because no matter how much you deny it we are powerful. We show a little and you go bonkers.

So, I say start a revolution. You don't let us fight? Fine. We'll walk the streets in our skimpiest attire and blow you up with our bazooka guns whenever we sense some aggression coming our way. There is a new meaning to the term "power dressing". So which smart alec said we can't fight again? Let him meet me. I have my halter, mini and bazooka waiting.

14 comments:

  1. What a power packed post! I feel so sexy.
    More ammunition to all that you have said..

    - N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely, absolutely, totally agree with you on every word. We need to feel powerful about our being and not become red faced if a bit of the bra strap peeks out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we take for granted that a woman is a sex object. We have been trained to think and feel that way since the beginning of time. Things will change for the better. Don't be so hard on the men folk. We are not all like that doll face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women look better naked.

    (i agree)

    Ms. Vice President seems to be living up to the role :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the post! and totally agree!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elitist at its best! Say something that’s modest yet obvious. Start a superficial revolution. Become a hero among your people. And remain blissfully oblivious of the consequences of what you create.
    Well guess what. All prejudices have their origins. Are all jews are misers? Are all sardars duh? Nope! It’s just what people believe as part of a casual conversation or maybe a joke. But not when it comes to the serious stuff and making a real decision. Women from the previous century gave into men and men were known as the stronger sex. There’s your origin and you can’t change that.
    You wake up every morning and dress beautifully because hey. You like it when men gawk at you and women envy you. You love the attention. And that’s not wrong, just proves you’re human. But know that there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you have admirers, you also have predators. And when that time comes that women do wear that skimpy outfit you just described or walk half naked because they look better when they’re half naked, it’s going to come back and bite you in the ass. And I’m not talking about the good kind here. Three guys follow you home and keep looking at you funny, where do you go in the nick of time for protection? To a man. That’s right. And maybe, just maybe that guy who said your dress was making him uncomfortable was trying to protect you from the wandering eyes of strangers.
    People say what they say about dressing and sexuality because of cultural norms. You can ridicule it all you want, but when the time comes that your daughter walks around in a non-dress I’d wager you won’t keep your mouth shut. Just know you can’t expect chivalry and equality at the same time. And please! The baby argument? That one got old during the days of Adam. Men didn’t ask you for it. It just happened. You want to blame someone, blame “God” and get back when he has some answers.
    Oh hey, ‘slutty’ is an adjective. It talks about the dress/act and not the person. Much like the difference between ‘idiotic’ and ‘idiot’. And as for all you ignorant supporters of the superficial argument this is, men and women are depend on each other. Always have and always will.
    But for all I have said, I must say I loved the writing. Nice! Kept me hooked throughout. :-)

    -Vijay

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vijay: The whole point, the whole effing point has not gone into your head, has it? You think girls in suit-salwars or sarees don't get raped? Or molested?? I know a girl who was sexually harassed when she was not even 10. So, she was wrong coz she was wearing sth "not appropriate"? At that age?

    What we need is a change in mindset. Of men. They need to respect women - like we respect them (yes, we do, despite all this crap). And it starts here. In your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in so love with your post, lady.What problem do these jerks have on our wearing sexy clothes? These jerks are those men whose penis gets erected seeing sexy women and those men who enjoy this feeling. And then what they do is COMPLAIN. Complete morons they are.
    But it's not only with the men. There are women who think that if a woman wears short clothes she's wrong and has to be ready to bear the consequences such as BEING RAPED.
    We need to bring about a change in the shallow thinking of both the sexes.

    Hi5 for this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask as many guys as you please if they have a problem with a girl wearing "revealing" clothing and 9 times out of 10, they will not, I guarantee it. Ironically, the part you are missing, is that most men do not complain about the clothes, they complain about the attitudes. We all get annoyed (both men and women) when a girl who was ogled at acts like it's rude when they wear something that reveals a large amount of cleavage. If they're going to dress that way fine, but everyone gets tired of girls who dress this way and bitch and complain about the unwanted attention.

      As for this persons post, a little too left wing if you ask me. Not to mention heavily, and obviously very biased.

      Delete
  9. You have a toddler in your pants who tells on you every time".. That was some shit.. Good shit.I mean :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. PART 1

    I utterly disagree with you on most points in your post for one simple reason. Most of your points are based on misconceptions of who is to blame, and misconceptions of culture and history.

    First and foremost, you cannot lump in males and females with authorities that are supposed to represent the bulk of the entertainment world. Their job often entails what is appropriate and inappropriate based on professional performance standards and whether or not we agree with it, based on the need to have approval from parents and other respectable adults.

    Secondly, if you want to make a comparison, you either have to claim that you were punched in the tits, which I dare to see you say, or you would have to threaten to tug on a guys junk, which I'm sure most guys wouldn't mind. Basically, you're making idiotic comparisons, which is not to be confused with me calling you an idiot. This is the same distinction you fail to make however, between slut and slutty.

    For example, if ANYONE dresses slutty, they are by no means a slut. Though that may indicate or suggest tendencies, unless someone acts slutty, they are not a slut.

    As for your evidence, stop cheating information.
    "Women live longer than men (about five years, on average) but have higher rates of disabling health problems like arthritis, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's disease."

    ~Rhythan

    ReplyDelete
  11. PART 2

    As for these points? Fuck you:
    "Teenage boys are more likely to commit suicide than girls and are more likely to die violent deaths before adulthood.
    While depression is said to be twice as frequent in women as in men, its only because women show their symptoms and are willing to talk about it in times of distress."(you)

    Reason I say that is because; "Men become soldiers, construction workers, and work as firefighters. They take on these risks quite naturally to protect their society, and they're trained to do this without question," (Professor Marek Glezerman) -if all women did this, they would be just as fucked up as men are. Lets see you go to war and want to talk about the children you got to see get blown up by stepping on a mine, being taken hostage as a civilian causality or the cost of collateral damage. If you are going to open your mouth, don't stick your foot it in.

    Also, all your points about women living longer are invalid unless you pull from a case study that includes war. To make it simple, factoring only World War I and World War II, averaging the deaths of all those men would statistically show that 85% of women live longer, when approximately 80% percent of all men from anywhere were drafted out to war.

    ~Rhythan

    ReplyDelete
  12. PART 3

    -and really? Women look better? That's an opinion. Women serving less time is an example of a double standard, and even though women give birth, in 85% of all species the male provides.

    But if you want to feel bad about yourself, how about me telling you that you'll never be able to do what a man can do 10 times better as a parent.
    "Fatherless children average significantly higher in terms of teen suicide, illegitimate birthrates, incarceration and unemployment. Reports also show that children from fatherless homes make up:

    85 percent of youth in prison
    85 percent of children with behavioral disorders
    75 percent of adolescents in substance-abuse treatment centers
    71 percent of all high school dropouts
    70 percent of adults serving long-term prison sentences"
    (http://worldimpact.org/broken-families)

    So wait? All the horrible stuff you said about suicide, and prison, and the distress is the cause of people like you who end up being single mothers??? Wow I never would have guessed -oh wait, I didn't, I did actual research. To further chug along, also take note that 90% of all scientific advances were made by male scientists. Yes, men are destructive, yes men might kill themselves(or possibly even mankind) due to stubbornness, but I would take stubborn thinking, over backwards thinking any day.

    Last but not least, both sexes are needed to survive. Biology I cannot argue, but testaments of what has been proven possible I can. I would never claim that women should never walk the earth, and I more than anyone believes in equal rights. I will not however let any women get away with abusing rights in the sense they don't come with the same sacrifices men had/have to make. Most men grow up being told they have to be tough, survive, protect, secure, and have the pressure of becoming successful and productive. Women can still get away with not doing a damn thing and having a man with money take care of her. Watch a male attempt to do that to a female and he will be shunned by all of society anywhere. If you think that's fair, you have a horrible sense of equality, whether you agree or not. Personally I don't think ANYONE should get away scott free never having to lift a finger in their life, but that's just me.

    I don't have a problem with feminists, I have a problem with ignorant people like you who voice a baseless opinion and claim it as truth.

    ~Rhythan

    ReplyDelete